By Alison Rip

Please join us at our Networking evening on
Wednesday 10th August @ 5.30pm at The Long Road Bistro,
165 -185 Long Road (next to the Cheese Factory)

Please RSVP to Alan on 0419 269 430, text Y or N – or email – Dianne is away for a few days and we try and confirm numbers attending each meeting for catering purposes.

Geoff from ChangeLever International is our guest speaker  – What You Can Learn From Successful Businesses About Managing Profit and Cash Flow

Geoff has extensive experience in helping leaders develop their financial smarts. He will share a practical model that clarifies the key drivers of profit and cash flow and a cash flow improvement checklist.

He will also address the crucial role of innovation and the elimination of all forms of waste.


It has been another busy month for the Management Committee.

As the Map Brochure heads to the printer we are now looking at re-doing all the Map Boards across the Mountain. We will now print the map and information annually. The cost to advertise for members is $100 per annum. Please advise Terri as we are hoping to get this done soonest.

In July a few of us got together to have a ‘think tank’ meeting regarding the Commonwealth Games. What emerged was that the idea to get 71 businesses on the Mountain (not necessarily tourism) to adopt a country was generally accepted as a good idea. This needs to be discussed further and gauge community feeling.

The Mayor invited a group to get together to discuss a variety of issues from Commonwealth Games, the lack of infrastructure on Gallery Walk, signage for the whole of the Mountain and the Vibrant town programme. As I have mentioned before I would like to make our VIC more vibrant and prominent but will need to get assistance from members.

I was invited to attend the Scenic Rim Tourism Strategy meeting hosted by Brent Randall from the Council and Mark Olsen of Earthcheck. This was a briefing as the five-year tourism plan (2011-2016) is reaching the end of its life and Scenic Rim is resetting goals for 2021. The round table workshop was well attended with interesting comments and feedback.

I met with the foreman from Council in regards to preparing the Mountain for Springtime and Scarecrow festivals. They will mow, snip and mulch beforehand so that the Mountain presents well to locals and visitors. I have also had discussions with Debra who is the Manager of Community and Culture as to how we can ‘beautify the Mountain’ especially in readiness for Springtime.

I am keen to look at starting a ‘feeding scheme fund’ as a Chamber initiative, at a local school. It was brought to the attention of the Management Committee that there are children going to school without breakfast and / or for some without any food at all. Some of the mums at tuck are paying for these children out of their own pockets. We might find there is more than one local school with this problem. I do realise that sometimes the parents should be talked to, but as we are all well aware there are many parents with problems/ issues who unfortunately don’t realise the impact that has on their children.

Looking forward to catching up on Wednesday.
Warm regards,

Alison –

July is always the 2nd or 3rd busiest month of the year at the VIC being school holidays.
The computer has been upgraded and the 2 new TV screens for the advertising are working well. Maria a new volunteer has completed her training and is on the roster.
Some school groups have been in and were well looked after by Gordon, Barb and the other volunteers. They even left a gift of chocolates.
The corner inside the door is available for large displays; Bungunyah, Glow Worms and Skywalk regularly use it for promotions. Please let me know if you wish to display your business here.
As always please call into the VIC if you are passing, introduce yourself and say Hi. It’s good to put a face to your business when we hand out your information to visitors.
Regards Terri –


I organised a meeting of the administrators of some of our community Facebook pages including the Scarecrow Festival; Gallery Walk; Tamborine Mountain Show and Tamborine Mountain Country Markets.

Since our initial Social Media Networking meeting, we have seen an increase in page likes, post likes, comments, post reach, shares and other positive indicators. The administrators of these pages are all volunteers. They are working towards attracting visitors and locals to the communities’ activities and your businesses. Please support them by inviting your friends to like their pages, liking their page yourself and sharing their posts.

The TMCCI page promotes chamber member’s businesses, attractions and events on the mountain. Please email me if you would like your event/promotions shared on our Facebook page –
TMCCI Facebook page:
Dianne Warnes –


Sorting, distributing and responding to emails. Cross checking and evaluating the accuracy of database.
Dianne Warnes –


The July 2016 Financials are on the website although there may still be issues with logging into the member’s area.
Map brochure income is still streaming in.  We should soon be receiving the second grant for this financial year towards the upkeep of the VIC.
We are looking forward to donations for the Scarecrow Festival ramping up because as a community we should be throwing our enthusiasm behind this great event.

Jackie –


Attended the TAC meeting in Beaudesert
The Tourism Strategy was the key driver behind (among many other outcomes) the:
– Formation of the Tourism Advisory Committee (TAC)
– Eat Local Week emphasis and additional marketing effort
– Restructuring of the Visitor Centres; and
– Our Events Strategy which is driving visitors and expenditure.

Strategy values – type and scale of tourism should reflect local character, emphasis to maximise community benefit, improve connectivity between business and increase participation in tourism activities, product and industry development – to name a few.

Discovered the stats they use are incorrect, this is that they mainly study the Visitors Information Centre (VIC) at Doughty Park to get their facts, which if you think about it, only gets visitors who drive there. Some work needs to be done!
Gordon Chalmers –


Website stats

  • 35,262 sessions, 20% increase on previous month
  • Bounce rate is 56% which is too high and something the digital committee is planning to look at
  • Visitors by city have remained constant, by country Australia is still 90%
  • Mobile represented 55% of sessions and is growing, mobile optimization “tweaking” is also being looked at
  • An upgrade of the plugin has been responsible for the membership section being down, we are waiting for a response for fixing this

Peter Harris


Mandy French – is coordinating placement of buskers around town.

10 acts have applied to be part of the festival for both the Saturday & Sunday.

Julia has scheduled posts on Facebook etc.

Vendors – I’ve organised popcorn, fair floss, toffee apples, snow cones, coffee van, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian, everyday food van, sports grounds will do hot chips, pies, sausage rolls, burgers, CJ’s juices, smoothies, health food options.

Store holders – handmade knitted scarecrow dolls, blankets, bags, teapot covers, spices, sauces, jams, children’s’ clothing, scarecrow t-shirts made by local artist, skin care, Dips, Vinegars, Dukkha’s.

I’m chasing a donut, cake, hot dog, etc. I will out various posts to sites again this weekend.

We desperately need a gold sponsor $1000.00 or someone to sponsor the pig race $3000.00 or alternatively sponsorship of individual pigs $475.00.

Sponsorship – so far $4250.00 plus Council Grant $2,000 and Chamber donation $2,000
I have estimated we will need approximately $12,000.00

SES will help supervise car parking at the Sportsground
The committee are working hard and are supportive, I am very grateful to them.
Please consider a sponsorship so that we can make this a great annual, community iconic event!
Linda Hogan –


Firstly, a big thanks to Cafe Bravo for hosting the Gwen meeting on Tuesday evening.

The Gallery Walk Sub-committee met with members of GWEN on (2.8.16) Tuesday evening to discuss ambient lighting for Gallery Walk. During the meeting the members discussed various LED lighting ideas for lighting the foot paths along Gallery Walk. During the meeting, the members all went outside to visit Granny Macs, where they could see the results of the lighting that Mandy had installed.

The lighting cost including installation was approximately $1000 which delivered a low voltage solution.

The footpath in front of Granny Macs was well lit and the ambient lighting made the area where her business operates more beautiful at night. Members at the meeting are now keen to install the same type of lighting to continue the beautification and safety of Gallery Walk at night.

For an economical expense, everyone that has a property or business could do the same as Mandy has, and really make a significant transformation to the way Gallery Walk looks at night.
Mandy’s lighting plan and installation was undertaken by Geoff of Tamborine Mountain Electrical.

Darren Jack –